Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Hello, September!

Hello all!

Today is the 14th day of school and I told the kids that this was their best day ever!!  They listened, they got their work done, and they seemed way more focused today. A long weekend does everybody good! I hope you all had a safe, fun holiday weekend.


Here are some academic updates:



  • Sight Words: I forgot that even though it was a short week, I had originally planned on doing 5 sight words like normal.  This will be tricky to fit in the next two days but I really want to keep on schedule.  Today and tomorrow we will be practicing:
                                                   for     it    with    as    on

             **I will assess last weeks words and the words above next week. Thanks for practicing at 
                  home!
  • Math:  We have focused on digits 1-6.  Ask your child what 5 partners and 6 partners are. The Unit 1 test will be on Thursday, September 14th or Friday, September 15th.  Students are doing well on quizzes and they did exceptionally well on the beginning of year assessment, which was a review of everything taught in Kindergarten. Great job kindergarten teachers!
  • Reading:  I will start sending home books next week.  I will send an information sheet in the reading folder to help you with reading at home.
  • Families/Communities:  We are going to start studying families and communities tomorrow. Please remember Grandparents Day is on Monday, September 10th. Information will go home tomorrow on this.  Our class is extremely diverse and I truly want to learn more about our families.  From now until the holidays, I really want to focus on culture, families, and communities. I hope before the holidays to do a Culture Unit, which will all students to do a presentation to the class about their heritage/culture. I did this in Hawaii and it was so interesting. For now, if you can have your child bring any special pictures of their family to share, I would truly appreciate it!
That's it for now!  I am going to post another blog of just pics!  Thanks for turning in your permission slips.

Ciao!

Sarah Nieder

No comments:

Post a Comment